Frequently Asked Questions
5th, 6th, and 7th grade elementary students are welcome to visit Mount Carmel Academy to experience a true high school day. Each visitor will be paired up with one of our students and follow her schedule for the day. You may request a specific student or let us pair one up for you. Visitors are asked to wear their school uniform, and lunch is provided. This year, visitor days begin
on September 6th and conclude on November 14th during the fall semester. We will also be hosting spring spend-a-days on the following dates: March 17, 20, 24, 27, 31 and April 3, 7, 10, 21.Visitors are welcome any day that we are in session. Call us a week in advance of your visit. 504.288.7626 x 4127.
Open House is one of the best ways to learn more about Mount Carmel Academy. On your student guided tour, guests will learn more about our rigorous college prep curriculum, extraordinary co-curricular activities and explore our beautiful campus. This year our Open House is Thursday, October 13, 2016 with continuous tours from 3-7 p.m.
The admissions process is the same for students entering 8th or 9th grade. 8th grade students at Mount Carmel Academy earn 7 high school credit courses on the academic or honors track which allows them to select more academic elective courses during their high school years.
Click Inquire Online. Fill out your information and we will add you to our list! Or you may call 504.288.7626 x 4127.
The current size of the student body is 1,250 students in eighth through twelfth grades. At Mount Carmel, the teacher to student ratio is 9:1 and most classes are between 10 and 19.
Mount Carmel offers ten $500 academic scholarships to incoming eighth grade students. Students whose parents demonstrate a financial need may also apply to the work scholarship program. The amount of the scholarship varies depending on each individual situation. By participating in this program, students and parents are required to perform a specified number of hours working for the school.
Mount Carmel welcomes students of all religions. However, all students are required to take daily religion classes and to attend liturgical services and Masses.
Mount Carmel Academy follows the admission procedures of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
- For the 2016-2017 application year, the archdiocese application card will be made available to Catholic elementary schools on November 14, 2016. Application cards will be distributed to students of Catholic elementary schools. Students not attending Catholic elementary schools may pick up a card at Mount Carmel Academy or download an application form.
- All application cards with transcripts and standardized test scores from the past three years are due to Mount Carmel Academy on November 16, 2016. All students who attend a Catholic elementary school: your principal will forward your records to Mount Carmel Academy for you.
- Mount Carmel Academy will send a letter to all applicants in December with a time and date for their personal interview. Interviews will be conducted on a Saturday in January.
- All applicants must attend Application Day at 8:00 a.m. on January 7, 2017 in Mount Carmel Academy's Mother Therese Chevrel Assembly Center. Applicants will take a placement test.
- Letters of acceptance / non-acceptance will be mailed March 2, 2017.