Members of Mount Carmel Academy's International Thespian Society traveled to the University of Nebraska in Lincoln to participate in the 2017 International Thespian Festival from June 19-24. The students did a fantastic job and earned the following honors and accolades:
- Baylee Robertson directed a one-act, #VIRAL, and represented Louisiana as the Chapter Select, a top honor. MCA students performed to a full house (approximately 700 people) and received a standing ovation.
- Grace Martin received a Superior in the Stage Management Individual Event.
- Daniela Vazquez received a Superior in the Solo Musical Theater Individual Event. She also received a call-back to audition for main stage performance at the end of the festival. Out of thousands of students, only 10 were called back in this category.
- Claire Bourgeois, Julia Kuchler, and Daniela Vazquez were cast in a cabaret style show that rehearsed throughout the week and had a final performance near the end of the festival. They were selected by the composers of the work, Carner and Gregor, and rehearsed with them throughout the week.
- Seven MCA students auditioned for colleges and received over 100 callbacks.
- Baylee Robertson was recognized in the final main stage performance for receiving the Doug Finney Festival Grant.
- The following students received Excellent ratings in their individual events: Baylee Robertson, Costume Design; Grace Borrello & Abby Trahant, Duet Acting; Megan Loup, Solo Musical Theater; Claire Bourgeois, Solo Musical Theater
About the International Thespian Festival
Every summer, thousands of middle school and high school Thespians bring their love of all things theatre to the International Thespian Festival, a celebration of student achievement in the performing arts. Organized by the Educational Theatre Association and hosted at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, Festival is a one-of-a-kind, weeklong immersion experience in singing, dancing, acting, designing, directing, creating, writing, and memory-making. Festival features workshops presented by theatre professionals, individual and group performances, programs for technical theatre students, and opportunities to audition for college admission and scholarships.