MCA's 8th religion classes recently explored Catholicism in New Orleans and Mount Carmel history within our Church History curriculum on a field trip. They visited the Old Ursuline Convent, the St. Louis Cathedral, and St. Augustine Church, which is of special importance to MCA history. The motherhouse of the Sisters of Mount Carmel was located just behind St. Augustine Church from 1838 until the relocation to Lakeview in 1926. Additionally, in 1840, the Sisters opened a boarding and day school nearby, the beginning of Mount Carmel Academy.
The group also visited Holy Trinity Orthodox Church in anticipation of their discussion on The Great Schism and the East/West Tradition later in the year.